Tips to Become a Bad*ss Business Woman
By Elizabeth Barrera
Did you know that the third week of October (this week) is dedicated to all business women in our nation, known as National Business Women’s Week (NBWW)? The purpose of this new tradition was created to acknowledge the contributions of female employees and employers who support working women and their families. In the link provided above, you’ll find more information regarding tips for celebrating NBWW with your friends, community, and loved ones.
At Polarity Magazine, we acknowledge women's worth, their contribution to society, and support women empowerment and growth to help each other reach success. In addition to National Business Women’s Foundation’s tips and tools, we’d like to offer a few of our own. It’s important to follow our dreams and reach our goals, but we’ve got to do our part in the matter. So the question now is: what exactly does it take to become a bad*ss business woman? Check out a few tips below:
1. Be confident in your abilities. You’re a bad*ss woman. I know it, you know, everyone knows it. Now start believing it! Raise your chin up high, straighten up a little, and walk with confidence. You know how long it took you to master your talents, and you know the sacrifices you made to perfect them. Now realize how great you are and start running.
2. Be a goal digger. Kanye was dissing a gold digger, not a goal digger, so no excuses baby girl. There’s nothing wrong with a little bit of ambition as long as you’re chasing after your dream and not just sitting around waiting for it to happen.
3. Take more risks. Go apply to the job you’re almost 100% certain you’re not going to get. Reach out to your old professor (who may or may not remember you) and ask them for a recommendation to grad school. Contact that working professional on LinkedIn who inspires you and ask them for advice. Become the entrepreneur you’ve always wanted to be. I can hear “but” already, but you’ve got to take the risk. If you don’t, you’re already closing yourself off from a potential opportunity. Lose the fear and take the shot - you might just make it in.
4. Find a mentor. Did you know that most of the jobs you’ll get in your life will be obtained through networking? So not only will finding a mentor help you land your next job, but they’ll also help you head in the direction toward your vision. A mentor will help guide you and introduce you to people who are already where you want to be. Lose the shyness and start asking, because those who don’t speak will never be heard (cliche, I know).
5. Never give up. I don’t know how many times I have to say this in order for people to listen, but I’ll happily keep saying it, because guess what? Life is a test, and your strength will be tested time and time again. You can be a step away from getting to where you want to be, but you’ll never know if you give up. Don’t give up until you’ve exhausted every possibility and you’re satisfied with all the work you’ve put in. As a matter of fact, don’t ever give up on your dreams at all.